The Delray Beach Playhouse is inaugurating a new outreach program for local playwrights. Dubbed the “Playhouse Playwrights’ Project,” the search committee is inviting local playwrights to submit an original, non-published or produced, one-act play with a run time of 20-40 minutes. Depending on their length, 3-4 selections will be chosen and a Playhouse director will be assigned to cast and rehearse the play with Playhouse volunteer actors and staff. A night of staged readings of these new works, open to the public, will be scheduled for September 2019.
“We want to find and promote new, local talent,” says Kevin Barrett, Executive Director. “Delray Beach Playhouse is the people’s playhouse and we want to introduce a new generation of playgoers to what we have to offer.” The theater’s new Black Box space is currently hosting a Cabaret Series which is an entirely new direction for the Playhouse. “We want to use our Blackbox space as an incubator for new ideas,” adds Barrett, “and a playwriting project is a good fit.”
Only residents of Palm Beach and Broward Counties can apply. Submissions are due by May 31, 2019. There is a non-refundable $15 application fee. Please make checks payable to the “Delray Beach Playhouse” and mail to Delray Beach Playhouse, 950 NW 9th Street, Delray Beach, FL 33444. You can submit your application online at email@example.com. Please see Submission Guidelines below for more detailed information, as plays that do not adhere to the below rules/guidelines will not be considered.
Please read submission guidelines carefully. Plays that do not adhere to these rules will not be considered. Only Palm Beach County and Broward County Residents may apply.
- Plays must be 20 minute, one-act plays. (one page of dialogue = 1 minute run time).
- Submitted plays should not have had any previous productions (either amateur or professional)
- Only one submission per playwright. A $15 non-refundable registration fee is required.
- Please submit three (3) hard copies of your play. Copies will not be returned.
- Scripts must contain at least two and not more than 5 characters.
- Only stage plays will be considered. Musical, film and TV scripts will not be considered.
- Scripts will be judged on concept, dramatic action, characterization and cast size.
- No sexually explicit or gratuitously violent or obscene scripts will be considered.
- Each page of your script must include your name, title of play and page number in the footer.
- Be sure to staple this Application Page to the front of your submission.
- Playwrights must attend rehearsals at the Delray Beach Playhouse.
Send your submission via US Mail or delivered by hand to:
Delray Beach Playhouse
950 NW 9th Street
Delray Beach, FL 33444
Your submission must be accompanied by a $15 non-refundable registration fee. SCRIPTS WILL NOT BE RETURNED.