The Playhouse Playwrights’ Project is accepting submissions for its second year of staged readings of new plays, starting March 1st. Local playwright’s are asked to submit an unpublished one-act play for consideration in the Festival. Last year’s event was a huge success, resulting in eight, new, one-act plays being read by local actors. Held over an October weekend, these new plays were warmly received and thoroughly enjoyed by sell-out crowds.
This year’s performance weekend is September 12 and 13, 2020. Rehearsals will be held over the summer. Local Playwrights (Palm Beach and Broward County residents) are invited to submit their new works for consideration by the Playhouse’s play reading committee. Deadline for submissions is May 31, 2020.
“We were blown away by the response last year,” said Playhouse Executive Director Kevin Barrett, “and we look forward to even more participation this year, now that the word is out there.”
“The Delray Beach Playhouse is such a neighborhood gem and we want to continue to introduce new people to come and see what we’re doing,” Barrett continued. “In addition to the new one-act plays by locals, we encourage everyone to come to the auditions in June. No experience necessary. If you can read a script, you can audition for these staged readings.”
Deadline for scripts is May 31, 2020. Submission Guidelines include a $25 non-refundable application fee for each submission. You can either mail scripts in via the United States Postal Service or via email attachments. Paper copies of scripts will not be returned.
- 20-minute, one-act play. One page of dialogue equals one minute of run time.
- One submission per application fee.
- Stage plays only. No TV or film scripts will be considered.
- Scripts will be judged on concept, dramatic action, characterization and cast size.
- No sexually explicit or gratuitously violent or obscene scripts or excessive foul language.
- Playwrights must attend rehearsals at the Delray Beach Playhouse.
- Each page of the script must include your name, title of play and page number in the footer.
- Completed Application Page must accompany your submission.
The Delray Beach Playhouse reserves the right to choose those submissions that best reflect the intent and goal of the Playhouse Playwright’s Project and reserves the right to amend its submission criteria to best suit those intentions and goals.
Ways to Submit
Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail in a paper copy to: Delray Beach Playhouse, 950 NW 9th Street, Delray Beach, FL 33444, ATTN: Playhouse Playwright’s Project
NOTE: Paper copies will not be returned.