Be here at the hidden gem on Lake Ida…
The Delray Beach Playhouse is one of the most outstanding community theaters in the country. Many have visited since the Delray Beach Playhouse first opened its doors in 1947. And today, the Playhouse is stronger and more exciting than ever, boasting thousands of members, hundreds of actors and volunteers, and live theatre for all ages.
And, the professional staff brings decades of production experience, delivering first-class performances.
Nestled in a park on beautiful Lake Ida, the Delray Beach Playhouse delivers Broadway Plays, Musical Memories, Interactive Studio Theatre, Cabaret, Nostalgia Concerts, Children’s Theatre productions, and youth classes and camps.
Be here for the fun, the experience, and the best live theatre value in South Florida!
Delray Beach Playhouse Board of Governors
JAY ALPERIN (President)
- POSITION ON BOARD: President
- OCCUPATION: Retired Dentist
- PREVIOUS BOARDS & LEADERSHIP POSITIONS: President or Chair: Old School Square, Sandoway House Museum, Chamber of Commerce, Delray Beach Drug Task Force, Delray Beach Cultural Arts Committee, Mayor of City of Delray Beach. Board Member: Creative City Collaborative/Arts Garage, City of Delray Beach, County, and Federal Boards.
- ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE: Experience in building sets, music, sound effects, lighting, and stage managing at Hollywood Little Theater.
RON NYHAN (Vice President)
- POSITION ON BOARD: Vice President
- OCCUPATION: Associate Professor, Florida Atlantic University
- PREVIOUS BOARDS & LEADERSHIP POSITIONS: Spirit of Giving Network, Florida Atlantic University Board of Trustees, Creative City Collaborative, and the Nonprofit Resource Institute.
STEPHEN J. MARTEL
- POSITION ON BOARD: Board Member & Programming Committee
- OCCUPATION: Realtor
- PREVIOUS BOARDS & LEADERSHIP POSITIONS: “This is the first Board of Directors I’ve served on,” says Stephen. “Although I had been asked to work with several other non-profits in town, the Delray Playhouse was the most appropriate fit for my talents and experience. I am a lifetime ambassador for The Milagro Center, here in Delray and we support many other charitable organizations.”
- ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE: Following college (Fordham University/NYC), Stephen spent years in management positions, in various industries. Prior to Real Estate, he was a Hotel Manager and Sales Director at a number of Metropolitan and Resort Properties. After marrying Lori Martel and returning to New England, he began a professional partnership with his wife that has lasted to this day. They have both been involved in the arts and theatre, directly and indirectly, throughout their relationship. In fact, their home has served as a music rehearsal and performance space for years. Stephen has also been the leader of The Joe Cotton Band for 15 years.
- POSITION ON BOARD: Board Member
- OCCUPATION: Legal Secretary for 35 years for Large National Law Firm
- PREVIOUS BOARDS & LEADERSHIP POSITIONS: President of American Federation of Television and Radio Artists – “AFTRA” before it merged with Screen Actors Guild “SAG” – (1990-1994), Director on Public Arts Advisory Board of Delray Beach (2017), Director on Coco Wood Lakes Homeowner’s Association (Present).
- ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE: Member Actors Equity Association (“AEA”); Member SAG-AFTRA; Theater Critic for the San Diego Metropolitan Magazine (2000-2014); 2010 Winner of Coronado Playhouse New Playwright’s Grant for original musical, “Actions Most Ridiculous” with Sven Salumma; Director, Choreographer and Teacher for San Diego Junior Theater (1985-1987); and, Director for Hampton Playhouse Children’s Theater (Summer 1984).
- POSITION ON BOARD: Recording Secretary
- OCCUPATION: Retired from Marketing & Promotions Field
- PREVIOUS BOARDS & LEADERSHIP POSITIONS: Board of Trustees for the Boca Raton Museum of Art (two years), ___ at Museum (6 years – current), Advocacy Board Member at Lynn University’s School of Business (current), and Activities Committee at Harbour’s Edge.
- ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE: Worked for Parade Magazine, Look Magazine, McCall’s Magazine, and JCPenney’s Production and Promotions Department. Also served as the Vice President of Marketing and Promotions at Robert Brian Associates.
- POSITION ON BOARD: Board Member
- OCCUPATION: Co-host of “The Morning Lounge” on Legends Radio 100.3 FM (in Palm Beach County), Professional Vocalist, Author of The Diva Next Door: How to be a Singing Star Wherever You Are (Allworth Press, NY), MC/Host/Speaker
- PREVIOUS BOARDS & LEADERSHIP POSITIONS: Honorary Board Member and Music Mentor for The Society for the Preservation of the Great American Songbook. Non-Profit Affiliations include: the Women’s Chamber of Commerce of Palm Beach County, United Cerebral Palsy, Families First, Habitat for Humanity, Cystic Fibrosis of South Florida, Mandel Public Library Foundation, Feeding South Florida, and Business to Business for Women.